We have put together a list of contacts that may need to be informed when someone dies.

  • Tell family members and friends about the death.
  • Employer or educational establishments.
  • Health professionals. You will also need to cancel any outstanding hospital, dental, podiatry or other health related appointments.
  • Agencies providing care such as social services, home carers, meals on wheels and day centres.

Other Contacts

  • Arrange redirection of post if necessary and reduce the burden of any unwanted mail by registering with the Bereavement Register.
  • Clubs/membership organisations/social groups.
  • If the deceased held a firearms licence for work and/or recreational purposes

PLEASE NOTE that if the person who has died was a Car Insurance policyholder, any other named drivers mentioned in a policy MAY CEASE to be covered.

Please contact the Insurance Company to arrange cover as soon as possible to ensure that you have a valid insurance policy.

Any vehicle(s) will also need to be taxed before being driven as car tax may also have ceased.

Financial Organisations

  • Banks/National Savings/building societies.
  • Insurance companies (e.g., life, buildings/contents, medical,car, travel).
  • Pension providers.
  • Credit card/store card providers.
  • Any other financial institutions must be informed so that any accounts solely in the deceased's name can be frozen to prevent fraud. You should also inform companies/organisations with joint accounts, although these should normally still be accessible by the other joint holder.

Property and Utilities

  • Mortgage provider.
  • If the deceased lived in rented accommodation, inform the local authority, housing association or private landlord.
  • Buildings and property insurance companies to ensure continued cover especially if the property is left unoccupied.
  • Utility companies (electricity, gas, water, telephone, and TV Licensing) and arrange transfer of account details if necessary.
  • TV/internet/ Satellite companies.

Government Offices

  • Pensions Service or Jobcentre Plus to cancel any benefits to the deceased or their carer.
  • Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs to deal with tax and Child Benefit payments (if applicable).
  • Local government offices that provide services such as the Electoral Register, housing benefit, council tax office, bus pass, disabled parking permits, library membership.
  • The DVLA and the car insurance provider (as above) if the person who has died owned a car or held a current driving licence.
  • The Passport Agency.

The Tell Us Once Service may be able to assist with some or all of these.